The Original Scone Blog (plus some food for thought)

Saturday, July 03, 2004

the far side of the world

My sister arrived in Australia yesterday. She will be studying biology at the University of Tasmania for a semester. Vicky called us on her first morning in Hobart, which has made a pleasant first impression. Apparently, it's a bit like Sausalito: a laidback, resort town. She went grocery shopping at Salamanca Market, a bustling public market which reminded her of Pike Place in Seattle. She had not seen the university yet. We got an email from her today, sent out to all her friends. I'll take the liberty of sharing a part with you.

Hobart, Tasmania is very nice. It looks like a new england town that
people visit on holiday-- a little too quaint for my lifestyle but small
enough that I can walk around. It is at the foot of Mt Wellington,
which doesnt seem that high, but right now it is snowcapped. Hobart is a
30 min drive to the top, and also a 20 minute drive to the bay, which i
think is pretty cool. It's wintertime here, which is comparable to so
Cal's winter, about 9 degrees Celsius, but way more sunlight. Damn
hole in the ozone layer. It is also windier so you'd have to wear 3
layers instead of 2. and gloves. and a hat.

The people have been pretty friendly so far, but I havent met my
flatmates yet, or any other students. my room has a nice view of the river
and the city, and I will post pictures on my geocities or livejournal
when i have the means.

(to her housemate): i wish i had gone to see a rugby match with you
because the aussies are really into "footy" which i gather is sort of like
american football and soccer and rugby.

...I am glad i got to hang out with most of you before i left. it was
good times and I miss you already. for those i whom i did not see, well,
it sucks to be me.

lost in translation:
give way = yield (traffic sign)
rubbish = trash
toilet= restroom
chemist = pharmacy
take away= takeout
no worries= no problem = ain't no thang

hope to hear from you!
vix

I'm sure she'll soon write more about her Tasmanian adventures in her fabulous journal. A moment's glance through it makes me realize that she's become her own adult person. My parents and I are thrilled for her. No, Vicky, it does not suck to be you...

No comments: