The Original Scone Blog (plus some food for thought)

Friday, July 09, 2004

"Lately, it's occurred to me..."

About ten years ago, Jennine told me her writing instructor suggested that improving one's writing involved doing it every day. It was something the instructor heard from Alice Walker. Or was in Ray Bradbury?

I was reminded of this advice when I saw Amy Tan at Cal Day a few years later. She also stressed the importance of writing daily, and first thing in the morning (though according to Oscar Hijuelos, she added, one should make an exception for conjugal purposes).

Concurring is Tan's bandmate in the Rock Bottom Remainders, Stephen King. After I read On Writing, a Christmas gift from Katy, I restarted my old journal and wrote every day. For about two weeks. That was three or four years ago.

Day is the key word. I'm finding that 1:00 AM is often NOT the best time to write. Fatigued and cluttered mind aside, one's best writing conveys a sense of joy, passion, precision. Extra stuff. When I write, sometimes something will happen - a turn of phrase, perfectly placed - that never could be otherwise planned.

During the day, I am more likely to ponder aloud the thoughts swirling in my head: my 5K training regimen, the last settlement I mediated, a missing recipe for gazpacho, the current New Yorker with David Remnick's article on the prospect of Islamist politics in Egypt and Tad Friend's report on turning SF's Lusty Lady into a worker's utopia, the disappointing portrayal of native Hawaiians in entertainment media, and my thoughts on the omission of Adrian Beltre from the National League All-Star team.

I wish I could say something pithy tonight. Hmm, guess I just did.

1 comment:

Yasmin said...

Hello Philip, lovely writing, :). Have you ever heard of Charles Harrington Elster? I like his books. http://members.authorsguild.net/chelster/work6.htm, it helped me a lot with my English, and I am becoming a better writer because of him. English is my third language so; it was kind of hard to use a lot of words. His usage suggestion helped me a lot.

I think you are very interesting person, you could be writer. Maybe, you should write short stories and then move to a novel. Really, your work reads well. Not was I one minute bored. I get bored easily :) , but not with your work.

Anyhow, how did you make the links? I want to link some pages to my little blog, but I am not seeing anywhere were I can do that. Thanks.